Cancer Resources

Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Good Thing About Cancer


A good friend just loaned me the book by Bernie Siegal M.D. -- How to Live Between Office Visits, A Guide to Life, Love, and Health. Wish I would've had this book in my pre-cancer days, it's fabulous! Bernie even got me to tear up a list I was making yesterday -- not an easy feat for me -- and just experience the day. It felt so much better and so much less frantic.

This is a poem he received from a woman named Patsy Barrineau, who left this wise and beautiful message.

The Good Thing About Cancer

The good thing about cancer

is that it speaks

in short sentences.

I listen attentively

as malignancy whispers:

Applaud yourself.

Hold his hand longer.

Hug her.

Buy it.

Say it.

Touch.

Kiss.

Smile.

Scream.

Laugh.

Cry.

Enjoy.

Live.

Yes.


I especially like the last "sentence"...

 
 

2 comments:

  1. That IS a great poem...makes you realize you should enjoy the "little" things that turn out to be the "big" things!

    ReplyDelete